There's So Much to Be Thankful For
Happy Thanksgiving! I never really know if Thanksgiving is celebrated on the Sunday or Monday; my family usually eats turkey dinner on Sunday, but we have a holiday on Monday.
Anyway, I’ve been feeling homesick the past few days. It seems silly because Thanksgiving is usually just another turkey dinner, except we go around and say what we’re thankful for. And there’s pie at the end. And usually the majority of my friends are away for YC or gone home for the break from MUN. But I realized that this will be my first holiday away from home like, ever. Except Canada Days spent at camp, but I’ve never been too broken up about that.
So in the spirit of this weekend, I thought I’d make a list I of things that I am thankful for:
- I am thankful for my parents and their kindness, generosity, and truly unconditional love, even when I’ve been a nightmare to deal with; for their support in the decisions I’ve made in life and trusting that I will make wise choices in moments of uncertainty.
- I am thankful for my sister and for the happiness she has found in marrying the love of her life.
- I am thankful for Gavin and that I finally have a big brother! And that he is a business man and good with money so that he and Kayla can support me when I have three degrees but no job. And that he’ll do it because he’s a kind soul.
- I am thankful for my family - cousins and aunts and uncles and friends who have been a part of my life for so long that they feel like family. Even though they’re all a bit nuts, they love me a lot, and that’s more than I deserve.
- I am thankful for my church family at the Temple. They are supportive, encouraging, thoughtful, wise, and fun. Pretty much a winning combination.
- I am thankful for my friends. Friends are family that you choose, and I feel like if my friends could be blood relatives, I’d make them. In trying to describe how much I love my friends, words escape me. They’re all brilliant, funny, smart, ambitious, ridiculous, and the most amazing people I know. I’m missing them like crazy right now.
- I am thankful for friends who stand in for my family when they are 7000km away and opened up their home to make my Thanksgiving dinner delicious and memorable.
- I am thankful for oatmeal and yogurt and orange juice and bananas and strawberries. They make my morning feel wholesome and nutritious.
- I am thankful for Glee.
- I am thankful that I won a SSHRC application, and for all the help I received working on and perfecting it. I am thankful that it allowed me to be able to do something scary and exciting at this moment in my life.
- I am thankful that my friend Ashley is going to be able to study in Harlow, and that she can have the amazing experience of studying abroad.
- I am thankful for books. I am thankful that I am able to spend another two years reading them and then get a degree for it.
- I am thankful for iTunes and the music that I have. It makes me very happy.
- I am thankful for PhotoBooth because it brings people together.
- I am thankful for cheese buns from Cobs Bread.
- I am thankful for the technology that allows me to be across the entire country and still able to communicate with the people I love at lightening speed.
- I am thankful for a Creator who has saved me from my guilt by his amazing grace.
And even though this world needs so much more,
There’s so much to be thankful for